The importance of dressing for your body type

With spring + summer come all things strapless – dresses, blouses, bikinis, etc. While strapless items look amazing on some women, they are far from flattering on my body type. The unflattering cut, combined with the discomfort of a strapless bra, mean I completely avoid them.

BUT, I think I can pull off the one shoulder look (at least I feel more comfortable doing so), because the top highlights different parts of your upper body. (And since I’m always a bit too honest on here – I’m actually wearing a regular bra with one strapped tucked down #lazy).

For me, strapless has never been flattering or comfortable and will never be. So, no matter how “fashionable” or “in style” it is, I won’t be wearing it. I think oftentimes people confuse their style with what is popular in the fashion world. Now, there are definitely items and pieces that will coincide, but they don’t have to. I started reading the Curated Closet last night and one quote already stuck out to me,

“Being fashionable is optional.”

I loved it. The author, Anuschka Rees, went on to explain how (now famous) fashion icons weren’t fashionable. They had created their own authentic style and stuck with it, regardless of what was trending. They knew what they liked, and what worked for them, and they owned it.

The more I learn about myself, the more I am able to hone in on my style. I have a mental list of items that will and will not work, whether it be because of my body type or because of my lifestyle. When I help style someone and clean out their closet, the first thing I do is note their body type, colors they tend to wear + colors that flatter them, and what their life truly consists of. Maybe you’re a nurse, so your typical week involves scrubs, workout clothes, and then a few nicer outfits for the weekend. No matter how much you like them, it doesn’t make any sense to stock your closet full of stilettos, because it doesn’t fit your lifestyle.

This principle is something I have been trying to focus on in my closet + life. [More coming soon on this!]

Back to body type + this dress. Not only do I like it, I feel GOOD in it. I’m not worried about the dress being too tight, or riding up when I sit down. I can zip it without sucking in, and I think it will be versatile this summer. For me, I am unbelievably self conscious in body con dresses. Seriously, no matter how thin I am, I’m still self conscious with them. I like this dress because it comes in around the waist, isn’t skin tight around my middle, and flares out nicely with the natural shape of the body.

By now, I would hope that most of us have some idea of what we’re comfortable in, what works for our body type, and what items fulfill our day to day needs. If not, I challenge you to play around  in your closet. Try items on, and if they don’t fit, don’t flatter, or are uncomfortable, either sell them or donate them.

You want your clothing to be a reflection of you. It is an art form, and the better you feel, the more confident you will be. On that note: wear what flatters your body type (work with what ya got) and what you feel comfortable in.

Happy Hump Day friends. Thanks so much for reading + hopefully this post was helpful to at least someone.

If you’re in the market for closet help, feel free to reach out. Formal packages coming soon 🙂

xo, Maddy

Shop my look:

PS. Sorry for linking 678,869 items, but JOA makes a ton of cute items in the same print. So, if you’re not into one shouldered dresses, there are tops + skirts available as well. Same goes for these Sam Edelman heels – the pink is a great color for spring/summer, and there are a variety of heel heights and shoe styles available in it.

Disclosure: This dress was purchased with a giftcard courtesy of ShopBop as part of an on-going collaboration. I  only work with brands I love and want to share, and all opinions are always my own.

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

16 Comments

• Reply Tieka, Selective Potential

I am obsessed with The Curated Closet! I’m about halfway through it right now… and my closet already feels SO much better.

March 22, 2017 at 8:31 pm
    • Reply madelinewp

I just started last night and I’m only about 15 pages in but I am PUMPED to finish with it and clean out my closet 🙂

March 22, 2017 at 8:55 pm
  • Reply Jeanne

Such a cute dress and I can’t blame your for linking so many items as they’re all adorable!

March 23, 2017 at 8:13 am
    • Reply madelinewp

haha right? There were too many good ones not to share!

March 24, 2017 at 7:17 pm
  • Reply Nikki

I am struggling with the whole buying what I really need vs what I want. I LOVE crazy high heels, but I work in an office on the second floor, I don’t see people and I sit at a desk all day. Also, we go very few places, so I really have no need for these things. I am really trying to focus on things I will really wear a lot now (instead of just what I really want).

This dress is super cute on you! And I don’t wear strapless either. I despise strapless bras.

Nikki
    thefashionablewife.com

March 23, 2017 at 4:01 pm
    • Reply madelinewp

I know what you mean. Its really hard to be honest with yourself sometimes about what you will and will not wear. I like to use the cost-per-wear method for bigger ticket items, but its just as easy to fall into a trap of purchasing cheap cute things you don’t need as well. I would recommend reading the Curated Closet – loving it so far!

March 24, 2017 at 7:17 pm
  • Reply Adi

Perfection!! That’s such a cute bag!
    Adi xx
    fancycorrectitude.com
    instagram.com/fancycorrectitude

March 23, 2017 at 8:43 pm
    • Reply madelinewp

Thank you Adi! Its a favorite summer bag of mine!

March 24, 2017 at 7:15 pm
  • Reply Amy

It is really important to actually dress for your body. I think you do it really well. I do agree that often times a one shoulder is more flattering than OTS. I am completely obsessed with your dress and those amazing pink shoes!

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

March 23, 2017 at 9:28 pm
    • Reply madelinewp

Thank you Amy! And yes, its super important to find pieces that work for YOU!

March 24, 2017 at 7:15 pm
  • Reply Chloe

This is such a fun look for Spring, especially with all the bright accented colors you added! I’ve been seeing stripes and one shoulder tops EVERYWHERE! Definitely need to find a dress like this that’s fit for me. 🙂

xo, Chloe // http://funinthecloset.com/gozon-spring-styles/

March 23, 2017 at 10:43 pm
    • Reply madelinewp

Yes! there are tons of options all over the place. I recommend just finding colors you like and start trying them all on haha

March 24, 2017 at 7:14 pm
  • Reply Becca

OMG this dress – I absolutely LOVE it! I feel the same way about many things that are “on trend” right now – they totally don’t work for my body type. I’m trying to be authentic to my body shape and pick clothes out that look good on me, and that make me feel confident. I’m also a jeans girls, so I’m just embracing it and trying to find more fun ways to wear them (and find more colored/patterned jeans!).

PS – can’t wait to hear more about your venture!! So excited and happy for you!

March 24, 2017 at 7:24 pm
    • Reply madelinewp

Thanks lady! And yes, some stuff thats “trendy” right now makes me think No way! And I think knowing what you like and getting creative with it is exactly the goal. Can’t wait to see more jean outfit inspiration from you!

March 27, 2017 at 9:06 pm
  • Reply Make your wardrobe work for you - cassidy lou

[…] table with a vase of gorgeous flowers I snagged from Trader Joe’s, so I’m a happy lady. Last week I touched on dressing for your body type and the myth that fashion and style are the same. Over the next few months, I want to delve deeper into the topic of personal style, how to find your […]

March 27, 2017 at 9:04 pm
  • Reply Everyone Deserves to Feel Confident | Peaches to Pen | Life & Style from the Philly SuburbsPeaches to Pen

[…] friend Maddy wrote a blog post a few weeks back about how important it is to dress for your body type. And to choose pieces that […]

April 29, 2017 at 11:54 am