Online vs. Real Life Personas

Forever 21 Pink Bow Barrette and Blush JacketBlush Jacket with Leather Skirt and Leopard Clare V Purse Blush Jacket with Leather Skirt and Leopard Clare V PurseDIY Faux Fur Pumps Forever 21 Pink Bow Barrette Gray Tee with Leather Skirt and Blush Jacket Blush Jacket with Leather Skirt and Leopard Clare V Purse

photos by Jessica Kaylene Photography

Who do you try to be online?

Are you the same person with your friends and family?

Lately I’ve been noticing stark differences with people I know personally and how they present themselves online versus how they act in real life. It’s almost funny to me, because at this point I can see right through their social media posts. But, it also got me thinking about online vs. real life personas.

Social media is a valuable but frustrating tool. It allows us to showcase only the *best* parts of our lives, a snapshot truly, and nothing indicative of everyday life.

It can be disheartening, especially when an acquaintance shares a photo from her third trip abroad in the last six months and you’re sitting at the desk job you hate. I’m no stranger to comparisons, and oftentimes those photos elicit jealousy.

I think with the popularity of Instagram Stories and Snapchat, you can get a different view into bloggers lives as well. I’ve come across people who seem wonderful when reading their blog, only to watch their Snapchat or Instagram Story and be completely turned off by their personality.

Personally, I strive to be as “real” as possible when representing myself through my blog and social media channels. I share both the good and the bad things, because one of my goals is to be relatable; whether we’ve been friends for a decade or you stumbled across my blog online. This works for the brand I am cultivating, and may not work for everyone. Speaking strictly from blog experience, there are plenty of successful bloggers who don’t share personal details, but that isn’t me, and never will be.

There isn’t a specific lesson, or story related to this post. It is just something that has been in my mind lately, and I’m curious to hear what you think? Or if you’ve noticed it in your personal life as well?

Let me know in the comments below + as always, thanks for following along.

xo, Maddy

PS. If you love my pumps check out my easy DIY here!

Shop my look:

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

14 Comments

• Reply Nikki

Great post! I try really hard to be myself on my blog and on social media … but, you know, a little more put together and a little less crazy. Sometimes I can be a hot mess. I just try to be honest. But I also try not to overshare… like “Hey my husband and I got in a huge fight and my house looks like a bomb went off in it” (even though this is sometimes the case).

Nikki
    thefashionablewife.com

March 16, 2017 at 8:37 pm
    • Reply madelinewp

Yes, I think there is a definitely a fine line there – I’m going to be myself but I’m also not going to post pictures of my dirty house or what I looked like with the flu haha. I think honest (but keeping relationships + family matters private) often works well!

March 16, 2017 at 9:18 pm
  • Reply Sarah

I try to be myself on social media – no themed Instagram over here – but I’m guilty of trying to get the best photo, or feeling so jealous of someone’s trip or engagement or whatever. I’ve been trying to stay off social media a little more these days outside of the office. It’s been the best thing!

March 16, 2017 at 8:49 pm
    • Reply madelinewp

Yes, I was off a good amount this weekend and wasn’t mad about it. Its hard because I want to grow my blog and presence, and social media is a necessity, but it also leads me to buy more things and envy more people.

March 16, 2017 at 9:17 pm
  • Reply Shivangi

This post is very well written!! Couldn’t agree more! It is indeed very stressful! =(
    But you look so pretty here Maddy!! Love the bow! It’s so cute!! <3 Have a great day!!

Lots of Love,
    Shivangi,

March 16, 2017 at 9:04 pm
  • Reply Amy

I think it is natural to only put the best part of yourself online. I don’t know that I consider it fake. I just sort of expect it of people. I know for myself I don’t want to post the bad things. I definitely try to share the real on my blog and post funny status updates when I do something stupid like we all do, but I try to keep in mind social media is a highlight reel. I do sometimes struggle with the persona I put out there. I am kind of a private/introvert type and feel a little awkward sometimes. Funny seeing as I am a blogger. Anyway, sorry for the paragraph. Not sure you really wanted a book of my thoughts. Ha! I love your outfit. Those shoes are amazing.

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

March 17, 2017 at 1:17 am
    • Reply madelinewp

I totally know what you mean, there is definitely a filter with which we share (which I think is a good thing!) and I’m happy you shared!

March 22, 2017 at 8:46 pm
  • Reply monica sors

You are right in a lot of things!!!But we are trying to be the best.
    Love the outfit, so cute!!!

xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: STARS BIKER JACKET + FLARES + SNEAKERS!

March 17, 2017 at 3:14 pm
  • Reply Elise

You are so right about social media! Great post, I love every piece!

xx, Elise

March 17, 2017 at 4:10 pm
  • Reply katie

Such a cute look on you! Love those shoes. And I completely agree about social media — it’s hard not to compare ourselves to someone else’s highlight reel.

xx katie // a touch of teal

March 17, 2017 at 6:55 pm
    • Reply madelinewp

for sure – I definitely struggle with comparisons and I really am working on it!

March 22, 2017 at 8:47 pm